Re: Redirecting error messages to an aterm

Aidan Kehoe (kehoea@parhasard.net)
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 08:34:53 +0100

 On February 5, quintaq@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

 > On 5 Feb 2001, at 13:41, Aidan Kehoe wrote:
 >
 > > $ cd
 > > $ grep -n afterstep ./.[xX]*
 > > .xinitrc:16:exec afterstep
 > >
 > > Then edit the file (.xinitrc in this case, but that may vary) to
 > > change the `exec afterstep' line to
 > >
 > > exec afterstep > ${HOME}/.startx-errors 2>&1
 > >
 > Hi Aidan,
 >
 > Thank you very much.  I did as you suggested and I can now use
 > "tail -f " to view growing messages file in an aterm.
 >
 > Because I am keen to learn, I have read up on the syntax you
 > suggested, and I understand most of it.  I am, however, curious
 > about the ".xinitrc:16:exec afterstep" part, which chokes at the
 > "16" stage on my system.  Am I doing something wrong ?

No, not at all. This is more a question of shell syntax than Afterstep
configuration; the 'grep' line was there to work out which file you
were running Afterstep from, and the '.xinitrc:16:exec afterstep' was
just some sample output from that grep command. It could equally have
been '.Xclients:4:afterstep &' or myriad variations on the same -- X
being infinitely configurable is annoying at times. As long as you're
editing the right file, there's nothing wrong.

Cheers,

	- Aidan
--
Quel genre des gens Ítes vous ? Ou as-tu lu qu'on peut branir un
cucombre devant une inconnue ? -- Preacher