Re: Restoring Background after Stopping Animations

Clark Ashton Smith (CAS@FutureRealms.com)
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 23:59:13 -0500

irb wrote:

> * Clark Ashton Smith (CAS@futurerealms.com) [010314 17:51]:
> > Hi,
> > I'd like to configure a menu selection that would
> > both, stop animations and restore a background image.
> > I have played around trying to do this for a couple
> > of hours but...
> >
> > Also, is there a way to see error messages that may
> > be generated from my miss configured menu attempts?
>
> Have you tried starting up X with something like "startx > ~/.xerrors
> 2>&1"?
>
> Then you can bring up a terminal and tail -f ~/.xerrors.

Yes I do log my X messages, I don't know why I did not think of
using tail to look at them while in X.  I saw the following when I
selected my Background command: Background "path/to/image.jpg"

 LoadImage: Unknown or unsupported image format.
asetroot: loaded root background for desk# 0 (resource id is 281).
/bin/sh: xv: command not found

Don't know why it was looking for xv.  The jpg can be loaded without
xv before.  Must be my bad syntax in the menu command.

I installed xv and tried your command bellow.  It stops the animation
temporarily and loads a tile of the xv banner window instead of
my jpg.?

Thanks for your help so far.  That tail -f suggestion has helps
allot.

> Anyway, this is what works for me (on one line):
>
> Exec "Stop animations" exec sh -c "killall xlock ; killall xearth ;
> killall xfish ; killall xsnow ; ascommand.pl 'Module \"\" asetroot'"

What is ascommand.pl.  Perl script?  Is it documented anywhere?  Is
there a way to pass the image name I want asetroot to load?