Re: aterm transparency

John Gruenenfelder (johng@bach.as.arizona.edu)
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 23:57:33 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001 sean@dague.net wrote:

>I know that aterm is highly optimized to make pseudo transparency not take
>much in the way of cpu cycles, which is really cool.
>
>But, for those of us that have too many cpu cycles, it might be nice to have
>aterm pick up its background from something like xearth.
>
>Can this be hacked with the existing programs, or would I need to hack at
>aterm to make it work?
>
>It is probably a silly thought, but my ascpu applet lacks activity.  Have to
>make this machine work harder. :)
>
>	-Sean

I'm not sure about this, but I think the xearth author would have to take the
necessary steps in order for aterm to update properly.

Since you've got plenty of cycles to spare, I would recommend xplanet as a
substitute.  It has many many more feature than xearth, plus it uses actual
satellite images of the Earth (or any other body) including nightmaps and
cloudmaps too.

Best of all, the xplanet author uses AfterStep, so when it updates the
background, xplanet will also do whatever is necessary with asetroot to update
the transparency in aterm, wharf, winlist, etc.

You can find it at http://xplanet.sourceforge.net

--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, Steward Observatory, U of Arizona
johng@as.arizona.edu
of my enemies!"
        --Sam of Sam & Max