Re: themes not working

quintaq@yahoo.co.uk
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:43:06 +0100

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001 20:49:31 +0100 (BST)
James <james@piku.org.uk> wrote:

> Something strange has happened with my Afterstep. ... I downloaded a new theme >and
> tried to install it.
>
> The theme installs itself (I can see the files in
> ~/G/L/A/desktop/themes)
> but doesn't take effect, the default theme still shows.  I'm running GNOME, XFree86 4.0.2, kernel 2.4.2 on a
> heavily-modified Slackware machine, but that's what I was using the last
> time I tried this.

Hi,

This happens to me too, on a SuSE 7.0 box that I have upgraded with a stock kernel 2.4.2 and XFree86 4.0.2.  I have a theory that the problem is with the interaction between XFree86 4.0.2 and installastheme.pl.  Has the way in which XFree86 4.0.2 records / reports depth been altered from previous versions?  I think that installastheme.pl is picking up 24bpp and making modifications to the relevant files, when AS (correctly), sees the server running as 32bpp.

Can anyone who knows more confirm or deny this ?