Re: Configuration Questions

David Mihm (dmihm@rchitecture.com)
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 19:03:45 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Geoff Burling wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Paul J. Lucas wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, Geoff Burling wrote:
>
> >> 2) How can I guarrantee a specific feel file will be read by
> >> afterstep on invocation, versuses the first one afterstep finds in
> >> /usr/share/afterstep/feels?  Or do I have to move/delete all the
> >> files in that directory?
> >
> > 	Create your own in your own ~/GNUstep directory and select it.
> >
> What I omitted to say is that I did create such a directory & file. But
> what your answer appears to indicate is that if I start AfterStep from the
> console with ``startx", afterstep will not first read the contents of my
> $HOME/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep directory, then go to /usr/share/afterstep.
> Which would appear to be a defect. Ugh.
>
> However, I suspect that the afterstep executable will read the general
> directory first under certain circumstances, for instance if there is no
> $HOME/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/desktop or
> $HOME/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/themes. Is this correct? Do I need to
> create those subdirectories?

	AfterStep copies the file you select from the menu (feel, look, or
background) into the non-configurable directory of your ~/G/L/A tree.  I
don't think you are realising this.  Nothing really overrides the share
tree or your ~/G/L/A tree per se, they are both listed in the menu, only
when you actually select something from the menu does it become actice.
Is this making sense?  Select any look/feel/background from the menu, and
it is _always_ active even if you edit the original file within the menu;
it will _not_ change until you reselect it from the menu.  And _any_
change you make to the non-configurable directory is pointless.

HTH