Re: Configuration Questions

Geoff Burling (llywrch@agora.rdrop.com)
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 15:01:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, David Mihm wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Geoff Burling wrote:

> > > 	Create your own in your own ~/GNUstep directory and select it.
> > >
> > What I omitted to say is that I did create such a directory & file. But
> > what your answer appears to indicate is that if I start AfterStep from the
> > console with ``startx", afterstep will not first read the contents of my
> > $HOME/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep directory, then go to /usr/share/afterstep.
> > Which would appear to be a defect. Ugh.
> >
> > However, I suspect that the afterstep executable will read the general
> > directory first under certain circumstances, for instance if there is no
> > $HOME/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/desktop or
> > $HOME/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/themes. Is this correct? Do I need to
> > create those subdirectories?
>
> 	AfterStep copies the file you select from the menu (feel, look, or
> background) into the non-configurable directory of your ~/G/L/A tree.  I
> don't think you are realising this.  Nothing really overrides the share
> tree or your ~/G/L/A tree per se, they are both listed in the menu, only
> when you actually select something from the menu does it become actice.
> Is this making sense?

Actually, it is. The look or feel file afterstep uses is copied to the
non-configurable directory -- which is stated in the man page for afterstep,
but not clearly enough for my brain to understand on first or second read.
(I re-read the Initialization section shortly after I read your email, David,
& with your explanation here, that section made far more sense.)

>                       Select any look/feel/background from the menu, and
> it is _always_ active even if you edit the original file within the menu;
> it will _not_ change until you reselect it from the menu.  And _any_
> change you make to the non-configurable directory is pointless.

Once I understood the first half of your paragraph, this half logically
followed.

If I were to try & rewrite the Initialization section so that it explained
this more clearly (well, more clearly to me), would the diff in man pages
be a useful submission to the Afterstep project? If so, where should I
send such a submission?

Geoff