Re: First Public beta relase of libAfterImage and libAfterBase

Sean Dague (sean@dague.net)
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 22:21:09 -0400

Excellent work Sasha!  The whole library looks really cool.

Can't wait to see AfterStep 1.9 starting to sit on top of that.

	-Sean

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 11:06:03AM -0500, Sasha Vasko/OSCA/Courts/Judicial wrote:

> This is to let you know that AfterStep i no longer being developed!
>
> Just kidding :)
>
> In fact I'm proud to present the result of last 4 month of hard work ...
> <drumbeat >
> ..  - the AfterStep's own Image Handling Library.
> <more drumbeat,cheerings of the crowd, fireworks, jazz playing>
>
> As there've been alot of noise about font Antialiasing, image alphablending
> and other
> useless fancy things, the decision has been made to put AfterStep on top of
> the trend.
>
> libAfterImage will be an integral part of the AfterStep and also can be
> used as a stand alone library,
> similar to ImLib. In upcoming month it will be integrated into development
> AS, delivering an incredible amount
> and power of imageing features, while sugnificantly speeding things up and
> reducing memory utilization.
>
> Please see features list as well as other documentation at:
> http://afterstep.sourceforge.net/afterimage/
>
> Why another library you may ask ? Why not just use ImLib or something
> similar.
>
> Well, IMHO ImLib is a piece of overbloated garbadge, full of shitty code
> and useless features,
> while at the same time having quite unconvinient inner workings, imposing
> unneeded restrictions
> on application design.
>
> On the other side libAfterImage is about 2.5 times smaller, while providing
> more needed features
> and no unneeded features, it is extremely flexible and extensible, fits
> nicely in AfterStep design and
> configuration approach, and is suspected to be faster, althou I don't have
> any concrete figures to
> substantiate this assumption. It supports about 11 different file formats,
> including things like Gimp's XCF,
> and internal XPM parser. It provides superior quality of image
> transformations and
> output on X drawables. It allows for antialiasing of both TrueType and
> standard X fonts.
> See screenshots to make your own judgement.
>
> One of the reasons behind this public release is to attract more
> developers, and at last provide
> decent imaging solution to the world.
>
> Please feel free to submit your comments, suggestions, etc.
>
> At the end I'd like to thank you all for your continued support.
>
> /me bows.
>
> >From the AfterStep team
> Sasha Vasko, developer.

Sean Dague
sean@dague.net

There is no silver bullet.  Plus, werewolves make better neighbors than
zombies, and they tend to keep the vampire population down.