Re: Crash with XFree86 4.03/4.1, AS1.8.0/1.8.9, matrox G400

Andrew Ferguson (andrew@owsla.cjb.net)
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:53:24 -0400

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001 16:03:03 as-users@afterstep.org wrote:
> Hope this hasn't been covered - I didn't see it in the archives
>
> I recently upgraded a 2xPIII650 w/Matrox G400 to use XFree86 4.0.3,
> and AS1.8.9, and it began crashing, usually after a few hours.
>
> I upgraded to X 4.1, and it crashed immediately upon launch until
> I removed the asmon applet from my wharf.

This sounds like less of an AfterStep problem and more of a kernel/XFree86
problem. I have a G450 and I also get some seemingly random crashes
(although they always involve xscreensaver and often power management or
direct rendering as well). What version of the matrox driver are you
running? (Or are you running the native X version?) What version of the
kernel? What do you have enabled that might be relevant (dri, console
driver, etc.)? What about Mesa? What kind of tasks are running in the
background? What are your power management settings (for the monitor)? I'd
like to solve this problem my self. Perhaps if we can correlate enough
information a bug report can be filled with the correct party.