Re: Crash w/XFree86 4.x, Matrox G400, etc

Andrew Ferguson (andrew@owsla.cjb.net)
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 15:07:07 -0400

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 21:18:53 as-users@afterstep.org wrote:
> Today Marc MacIntyre mumbles:
>
> >> Well, I got the crashing to stop, by downgrading to X 3.3.6 - there's
> >fair
> >> amount of info out there indicating that the driver for the matrox
> >> doesn't seem to work very well under 4.x, and I don't have the time to
> >> chase it down, unfortunately....  Maybe under 4.2...
>
> Is everyone using the mga_drv.o from XFree or from Matrox?  I use the one
> from
> Matrox (v 1.3.0) and have not experienced a crash in a long time with X
> 4.1.0.

I'm using the beta 1.3.0 driver (the latest one from Matrox) under XFree86
4.0.2 and I don't get crashes when I'm working, but I do get crashes
sometimes when XScreensaver is running and the system goes into power
saving mode (I think) or a certain GL call is made (that also looks likely
from the logs). Perhaps upgrades (X and Mesa) will fix my problems.