Re: Crash with XFree86 4.03/4.1, AS1.8.0/1.8.9, matrox G400

Marc MacIntyre (marcmac@marcmac.com)
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 09:20:59 -0700

--3MwIy2ne0vdjdPXF

Let's see - I'm using the driver (1.3) from matrox, kernel 2.4.2-2(smp).

I don't think I tweaked the install much, so it may have been running
dri, but I'm not sure.

No power settings on the monitor.  Sometimes it would crash when I was runn=
ing
the screensaver, sometimes when I wasn't - asmon applet killed it at startup
every time, though.

Usually, it would happen when I wasn't at the computer - away at
work, or whatever, and I'd come home to find it at the login
prompt.

Andrew said:
> Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:53:24 -0400
> From: Andrew Ferguson <andrew@owsla.cjb.net>
> To: "as-users @ afterstep . org" <as-users@afterstep.org>
> Subject: Re: Crash with XFree86 4.03/4.1, AS1.8.0/1.8.9, matrox G400
>=20
>=20
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2001 16:03:03 as-users@afterstep.org wrote:
> > Hope this hasn't been covered - I didn't see it in the archives
> >
> > I recently upgraded a 2xPIII650 w/Matrox G400 to use XFree86 4.0.3,
> > and AS1.8.9, and it began crashing, usually after a few hours.
> >
> > I upgraded to X 4.1, and it crashed immediately upon launch until
> > I removed the asmon applet from my wharf.
>=20
> This sounds like less of an AfterStep problem and more of a kernel/XFree86
> problem. I have a G450 and I also get some seemingly random crashes
> (although they always involve xscreensaver and often power management or
> direct rendering as well). What version of the matrox driver are you
> running? (Or are you running the native X version?) What version of the
> kernel? What do you have enabled that might be relevant (dri, console
> driver, etc.)? What about Mesa? What kind of tasks are running in the
> background? What are your power management settings (for the monitor)? I'd
> like to solve this problem my self. Perhaps if we can correlate enough
> information a bug report can be filled with the correct party.

--=20

Marc MacIntyre
marcmac@marcmac.com

Here we may reign secure; and in my choice=20
To reign is worth ambition, though in hell:=20
Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven.=20
- John Milton, Paradise Lost

--3MwIy2ne0vdjdPXF

--3MwIy2ne0vdjdPXF--