Re: Non-root installation problem

Buzz (buzbates@es.co.nz)
Sun, 30 Sep 2001 07:20:13 +1200

First question, can u get root access?

On Sun, 30 Sep 2001 06:30, you wrote:
> Well, I solved that problem. The problem was that I was trying to compile
> it in the shell server, not in the pc itself. Now I uncovered more problems
> :P It seems xdm or kdm or i-dont-know-what is trying to run
> /usr/sbin/AfterStep 1.7 which was the old version instead of my
> $HOME/AfterStep/bin/afterstep This is a major pain in the ass, because I
> tried and edited .xinitrc, .XDefaults , .XDefaults-something and all types
> of .files, but with no success.

Did u add it specifically to xdm kdm.

> It seems to me, from my personal experience
> and from reading the mailing lists that running AfterStep under some stupid
> xdm is hard as hell. Is there a default procedure/FAQ/RTFM for this? People
> I know and whom I introduce AS all complain from this. It is REALLY a major
> drawback for someone trying AS.

I can't be sure but I'm guessing that the original AS that u had was a system
wide installation, that is, installed by root? If u then install another AS
in your home directory only without adding it to xdm or kdm, then naturally
xdm or kdm will run the original. I believe u will end up with say, AfterStep
and another program call MyAfterStep or some such in your shell manager.

--
Cheers

Buzz