Re: Non-root installation problem

sasha@aftercode.net)
Sun, 30 Sep 2001 00:48:38 -0500

On Saturday 29 September 2001 13:30, you wrote:
> Well, I solved that problem. The problem was that I was trying to compile
> it in the shell server, not in the pc itself. Now I uncovered more problems
> :P It seems xdm or kdm or i-dont-know-what is trying to run
> /usr/sbin/AfterStep 1.7 which was the old version instead of my
> $HOME/AfterStep/bin/afterstep This is a major pain in the ass, because I
> tried and edited .xinitrc, .XDefaults , .XDefaults-something and all types
> of .files, but with no success. It seems to me, from my personal experience
> and from reading the mailing lists that running AfterStep under some stupid
> xdm is hard as hell. Is there a default procedure/FAQ/RTFM for this? People
> I know and whom I introduce AS all complain from this. It is REALLY a major
> drawback for someone trying AS.

WEll, that's the problem with xdm config, and the fact that most distros
install afterstep into /usr/X11R6/bin

Firstly go into that place and make sure there are no AfterStep executables
there : afterstep, Wharf, Pager, WinList, Audio, asetroot, etc.

Then check your xdm config. ON my Slackware 8 it is located at /etc/X11/xdm

You want to edit Xsession  and see how afterstep is called.

RedHat and some other distros that are based on funky  GUI config tools may
be different, and you should try their GUI tools to fix config instead.

Cheers
Sasha Vasko

Depending on