Re: aterm

Thorben Thuermer (thorbenthuermer@gmx.net)
Thu, 06 Dec 2001 01:36:34 +0100

chris dunn wrote:

> Thanks for that too Andrew, but still no success.
>
> My /etc/fstab line is identical to yours.
>
> I'm sure there is something simple causing the aterm malfunction, but
> can't get a handle on it.
>
> Andrew Ferguson <andrew@owsla.cjb.net> wrote:
>

> > > ............../dev/pts is an empty directory as follows
> > > drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Apr 21  1999 pts/
> >
> > You need to mount the /dev/pts filesystem in order to have those
> files.
> > The line in my fstab is:
> >
> > none /dev/pts  devpts  gid=5,mode=620       0 0
> >
> > I'm not sure if that will help, but you can give it a whirl.

does 'mount' show /dev/pts as mounted?
root@newone[~]$ mount | grep pts
ptsdevice on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0622)

what happens when you try to 'mount /dev/pts'?

sure you did compile support for devpts into your kernel?
charecter devices -> unix98 PTY support, and
filesystems -> /dev/pts filesystem for unix98 ptys

Thorben Thuermer