Re: Embarassing Bug in Tile Module

Geoff Burling (geoff@agora.rdrop.com)
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 17:08:31 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Christof wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 02:42:08PM -0800, Geoff Burling wrote:
> > While I was reviewing the man pages for AfterStep, I found the
> > following inconsistency.

[snip]

> Aha, i dont use it. All aplications i run are lunched from
> .workspace where i have them with -geometry option. This file is sourced
> from autoexec. And with addiction of database file, applications are
> launched where i want. Though i'd want an option to start them in
> background - i mean e.g. afterstep doesnt switch desk when the
> aplication is started in another one (though it would be placed there) -
> it would be nice option to database file.
> And beside this some programs have not -geometry option (mozilla) so i
> thougt if i could use Tile. Really Tile -h show options not
> mentioned in man page ([-flatx] [-flaty] [-incx value] [-incy value]).
> And there is a bug - when invoked from startmenu, Tile  resizes aplication
> beyond the borders of tile box. Works fine from command line or wharf.
> I think there could be other bugs e.g. with yoffset maxheight....

There's a lot of inconsistencies in the modules. Looking thru the code,
typing $MODULE -h, $MODULE -v, $MODULE --help, & $MODULE --version a lot
& comparing what the man pages promise have resulted with the discovery
that there are three different algorythms for parsing the command line.
Fortunately, the solution is one of some careful cut & pasting, so by
weekend's end I should have submitted the necessary patches to make
the man pages right & the source code right.

But as for adding -geometry as a uniform option . . . as I said in another
email, I'm just an unemployed QA guy, not a coder. I want to clean up
the mess so that new features are easier to add correctly.

Geoff