Re: aterm

Andrew Ferguson (andrew@owsla.cjb.net)
Sun, 2 Dec 2001 20:23:04 -0500

On Sun, 02 Dec 2001 18:41:28 chris dunn wrote:
> aterm: can't open pseudo-tty
> aterm: aborting
>
> I've read the README.Unix98PTY, and as far as I can tell I have a proper
> installation for use with /dev/pts. However I also have a bunch of
> /dev/tty* and /dev/pty* devices. Is this correct?

Do you have CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS set to 'y' in your kernel .config? Also
make sure that CONFIG_UNIX98_PTY_COUNT is set to a reasonable number (like
more than one or two).

If both of those are correct, make sure that you have permission to open
the /dev/pts/* files and the /dev/pty* files. Also try running aterm as
root and see if that solves the problem, then you know it's permission
settings.