Re: CVS Build Question

Geoff Burling (llywrch@agora.rdrop.com)
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:36:39 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Geoff Burling wrote:

> Tonight I tried to compile the current snapshot of AfterStep, only to
> get upwards of a thousand lines of warnings & error messages.
>
> I suspect that the problem lies in the fact I'm currently using an
> older version of XFree, 3.3.5. (I'm in the process of updating to
> 4.1.0.) Can I safely assume that this version of XFree is no longer
> supported? Or would someone like a copy of make's output?

Since Sasha hasn't responded, I'll assume he's thinking this over. A
little more information to make his decision clearer.

I looked over the log from running make (I ran ./configure with no
flags or options), & found that the warnings & error messages were the
same group repeated about 20 times. All of the warnings arise from
lib/parse.c being unhappy with an older version of X11/Xutil.h.
The errors all come from the following incompatibility with old &
new versions of X11/X.h:

> In file included from /usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xlib.h:56,
>                  from ../include/aftersteplib.h:29,
>                  from parse.c:8:
> /usr/X11R6/include/X11/X.h:68: syntax error before `typedef'
> make[2]: *** [parse.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/u3/afterstep-stable/lib'
> make[1]: *** [../../lib/libafterstep.a] Error 2

Since I haven't traced thru this part of the AfterStep code, I'm
not sure exactly what the problem is -- or if the bug lies in the
latest version of XFree.

If no one else sees this problem building the latest snapshot of
AfterStep, then I guess the solution is ``Update your 4-year-old
version of XFree."

Geoff