Re: CVS Build Question

Geoff Burling (llywrch@agora.rdrop.com)
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 21:38:58 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Andrew Ferguson wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Jan 2002 23:29:22 Geoff Burling wrote:
> > Tonight I tried to compile the current snapshot of AfterStep, only to
> > get upwards of a thousand lines of warnings & error messages.
> >
> > I suspect that the problem lies in the fact I'm currently using an
> > older version of XFree, 3.3.5. (I'm in the process of updating to
> > 4.1.0.) Can I safely assume that this version of XFree is no longer
> > supported? Or would someone like a copy of make's output?
>
> If you're trying to compile the afterstep-devel module, it hasn't fully
> compiled in months. Either fix it :) or wait for the all-mighty Sasha to
> finish rewriting AfterStep. Use afterstep-stable.

Augh! I thought I stated this happened with ``afterstep-stable". (I hate it
when I leave important details out.) And, further, I didn't experience this
problem building AfterStep 1.8.10.

I wouldn't bother mentioning to this list that I had problems compiling
the afterstep-devel module. From a glance at the tree, it looks incomplete.
And to me ``development" means ``use at your own risk."

Geoff