Re: java.swing components misbehaving

Leonard Treffery Nutley (leonutley@snowcrest.net)
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 02:02:54 -0800

--------------7A395C327DC0E931F6BC44BD

yes, of course, you're right

$ afterstep --version
AfterStep version 1.8.10

$ java -version
java version "1.3.1_02"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1_02-b02)

installed from:
j2re-1_3_1_02-linux-i386.bin.bz2
j2sdk-1_3_1_02-linux-i386.bin.bz2

and the code:

/*--------------------------*/
// file: Input.java

import javax.swing.*;

public class Input{

    public static void main(String[] args){

         String name = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("message");
         /* do something with the String */
         System.exit(0);
    }
}

/*---------------------------*/

what it should look like

---------------------
| [icon] [message]
| [text_input_area]
| [ok]    [cancel]
---------------------

Which usually works fine, but in AS, the message, text-input etc
are moved outside the window leaving only the icon, or
sometimes no icon at all.  This behavior/appearance isn't
the same between different runs of the program.

I've also noticed this when running LimeWire, which is heavy
into swing and was discussed briefly in another thread in this group.

Acheron wrote:

> How about posting version numbers for afterstep and your jdk/jre then?
>  Maybe somebody else has had similar problems.
> I've been using afterstep and the jdk for awhile now (currently at as
> 1.8.10 and jdk1.4.0) and not had any problems tho.

[snip]

--------------7A395C327DC0E931F6BC44BD

<pre>
yes, of course, you're right