Re: Keybinding and modifiers

Andre Canis (Andre.Canis@web.de)
11 Mar 2002 13:57:19 +0100

I wrote:

> Is it possible to use other modifiers than Control, Shift or Meta for
> key (or mouse) bindings? I'd like to use the "Windows" keys as
> modifiers, e.g. as "Hyper" or "Super".

Poking through the source a bit, I managed to do what I wanted. If
anyone else is interested:

In my .Xmodmap:

,----
| keycode  64 = Alt_L Meta_L
| keycode 115 = Hyper_L
| keycode 116 = Hyper_R
|
| clear Mod1
| clear Mod4
|
| add    Mod1    = Alt_L
| add    Mod4    = Hyper_L
`----

The important bit is setting up Hyper_L (which I mapped to the left
"Windows" Key) as Modifier 4. Then I can use the following in my feel
file:

,----
| Key Tab         A       4       WarpFore
| Key Tab         A       S4      WarpBack
`----

Now I can use Win+Tab to switch between windows.

Seems you can use numbers corresponding to modifiers in addition to
N,C,S,M and A in the config file.

Caution: This works for _my_ keyboard, which uses "XkbModel" "pc105"
and "XkbLayout" "de". YMMV.

--
"I can't imagine mastering the skills involved here without a clearer
 understanding of who's going to be impressed."