Re: Keybinding and modifiers

Stelios Bounanos (sb@dial.pipex.com)
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 15:39:02 +0000

 > I wrote:
 >> Is it possible to use other modifiers than Control, Shift or Meta for
 >> key (or mouse) bindings? I'd like to use the "Windows" keys as
 >> modifiers, e.g. as "Hyper" or "Super".

 > Poking through the source a bit, I managed to do what I wanted. If
 > anyone else is interested:

 > In my .Xmodmap:

 > ,----
 > | keycode  64 = Alt_L Meta_L
 > | keycode 115 = Hyper_L
 > | keycode 116 = Hyper_R
 > |
 > | clear Mod1
 > | clear Mod4
 > |
 > | add    Mod1    = Alt_L
 > | add    Mod4    = Hyper_L
 > `----

 > The important bit is setting up Hyper_L (which I mapped to the left
 > "Windows" Key) as Modifier 4. Then I can use the following in my feel
 > file:

 > ,----
 > | Key Tab         A       4       WarpFore
 > | Key Tab         A       S4      WarpBack
 > `----

 > Now I can use Win+Tab to switch between windows.

 > Seems you can use numbers corresponding to modifiers in addition to
 > N,C,S,M and A in the config file.

This will come in handy, just made a note of it ;)

I just did something similar (but on a regular key, the type6 usb has
plenty!) only to remember why I wasn't using Warp*: I find it a bit
disorienting on my always-too-cluttered desktops.
Does anyone know how to restrict warping to the current page only
(not the whole Desk), before I apt-get source afterstep? :-)

 > Caution: This works for _my_ keyboard, which uses "XkbModel" "pc105"
 > and "XkbLayout" "de". YMMV.

Rgds,
/-sb

--

Stelios Bounanos <sb@dial.pipex.com>          /*\
  ..............7500000 years later:          \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign