Re: Run Form

Stelios Bounanos (sb@dial.pipex.com)
Wed, 08 May 2002 19:22:47 +0100

 > On Tue, 07 May 2002, Christof wrote:
 >>
 >> On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 11:24:33PM -0700, Pachara Tinamas wrote:
 >> > I use afterstep 1.8.11.
 >> > When I use Run Form with :
 >> > emacs junk
 >> >
 >> > it show me some thing like :
 >> > /sbin/sh emacs junk: no command or filename.
 >> >
 >> > it think "emacs junk" is a filename.
 >> >
 >> > how can i do?
 >>
 >> Are you trying to run emacs from the Form?
 >>
 >> Krzysiek
 >>
 > Thank you. I can run emacs from the Form. but  How can I use run form to run comand like shell prompt such as :

 > mozilla http://www.afterstep.org

 > or

 > cat junk

Hi there,

On my system, the forms config is in ~/GNUstep/Library/Afterstep/forms;
in that file the Run Form section has the following line:

*RUNFormCommand Exec "-" xterm -fg white -bg black -T Run -e $(CustomTarget)

This means that typing "emacs foo" in the form will cause xterm to try
and execute "emacs foo" as a program, this won't work obviously.
Noting that you're in fact treating the form as a shell, you can use this
(replace bash with sh if necessary):

*RUNFormCommand Exec "-" xterm -fg white -bg black -T Run -e bash -c $(CustomTarget)

Now things like "cat junk" and "emacs foo" will work as expected, but:
1) The xterm will wait for its child to exit. Not very useful if you're
   starting up a graphical program...
2) For "cat junk" etc, you will need something like "cat junk | less" or
   "less junk" to keep the shell (and xterm) from exiting immediately.

Given this, you may want to simply have

*RUNFormCommand Exec "-" bash -c $(CustomTarget)

and enter xterm -e "some_cmd_to_run_in_terminal" in the form as needed.

Anyway, all this depends on your habits & usage, so play with it... :)

 > i don't want to make form for every command (some command I use a little)

 > Thank you

Rgds,
/-sb.