Re: Proposed Wharf feature

Sasha Vasko (sasha@aftercode.net)
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 23:30:16 -0500

On Sunday 28 July 2002 21:17, Frank Gore wrote:
> Can I make a feature request here? :)
>
> This is something I'd like to see added to the Wharf in a future release
> (1.9 if we ever see that one come to be).
>
> I'd like to be able to make the Wharf semi-translucent at all times,
> until I move the mouse over it to use it. Then it would fade into focus
> so I can see it properly and run any commands I need to. This would free
> up the screen real-estate used by the Wharf so it could still be used by
> other applications, and yet it would still remain at least readable to
> view any docked apps (ie. asclock).

You should be able to do that as it is.
Open Gimp, Create completely transparent image and save it as a XPM file.
Use this file as a background for Wharf. That will give you completely
transparent wharf with all the icons and apps still visible.

In fact that would be the closest possible solution to your idea, since X
windows does not provide semitransparency a-la OS X.

> Of course, this would require real-time transparency for the apps to
> still be visible behind the semi-translucent Wharf, so I have no idea
> how feasible it is. Just mentioning it as something I'd like to see :)
>
> Frank Gore

Sasha.