Re: gnome compliance

Remco Rijnders (remmy@cistron.nl)
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:46:05 +0200

On Wednesday 31 July 2002 16:19, you wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 09:06, Gene Imes wrote:
> > I am using Gentoo Linux with gnome2. I have tried most of the window
> > managers but AS wins. Maybe it is because I have been using it for
> > years and have some familiarity with it that make it easier to
> > configure for me. I don't use any of the ancillary programs in AS
> > like wharf etc. I just like to put my own buttons on the title bar
> > and the flexible focus options.
> >
> > It would be nice to have 100% gnome compliance to make it easier to
> > use, after all isn't that the function of a window manager, ease of
> > use?
> >
> > Also a graphical configurator is a necessity. Easy configuration
> > would make AS great.
>
> Are there any developers on this list who can answer these questions?

I'm not an AS developer, but I can offer perhaps a word or two.

First of all, I'm glad you like afterstep... I love it too :) The
afterstep webpage mentions Gnome compliance. From the afterstep FAQ:

"1.7 Is AfterStep 1.8 GNOME and/or KDE compliant?

As of version 1.7.59 AfterStep has been GNOME compliant through the Gnome
module. It is not perfect yet, but near-100% compliance is on the way."

It's been some time since the FAQ has been updated, but have you tried
using the Gnome module mentioned yet? If since  the Gnome module was last
worked on the specifications for gnome have changed (gnome2) then someone
would have to step forward to work on updating this module. As far as I
know it is currently not under active development.

As for a graphical configurator, that has been a long outstanding wish.
As afterstep development has been largely in the hand of one person in
recent times and since there are only so many hours in a day development
on it has been slow. It remains an outstanding wish though and someone
has stepped forward to express the desire to start working on this
(LabMonkey in #afterstep on irc.openprojects.net).

Kind regards,

Remco Rijnders

--
ICQ: 760542, Tel: (+31) 6 11316573, http://www.webconquest.com
-*- Zippy's revelation of the moment: -*-