Re: gnome compliance

Gene Imes (ebi@ozob.net)
31 Jul 2002 16:31:47 -0500

On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 09:46, Remco Rijnders wrote:

> On Wednesday 31 July 2002 16:19, you wrote:

> I'm not an AS developer, but I can offer perhaps a word or two.
>
> First of all, I'm glad you like afterstep... I love it too :) The
> afterstep webpage mentions Gnome compliance. From the afterstep FAQ:
>
> "1.7 Is AfterStep 1.8 GNOME and/or KDE compliant?
>
> As of version 1.7.59 AfterStep has been GNOME compliant through the Gnome
> module. It is not perfect yet, but near-100% compliance is on the way."

Yes this has been in the FAQ for quite a while.

> It's been some time since the FAQ has been updated, but have you tried
> using the Gnome module mentioned yet? If since  the Gnome module was last
> worked on the specifications for gnome have changed (gnome2) then someone
> would have to step forward to work on updating this module. As far as I
> know it is currently not under active development.

That's too bad. I like gnome and it looks as if AS is the wm with the
features that I want i.e. title bar buttons and mouse of focus and
raise. I know other wms have this but I already know how to configure
AS. I don't have to know lisp or some such.

> As for a graphical configurator, that has been a long outstanding wish.
> As afterstep development has been largely in the hand of one person in
> recent times and since there are only so many hours in a day development
> on it has been slow. It remains an outstanding wish though and someone
> has stepped forward to express the desire to start working on this
> (LabMonkey in #afterstep on irc.openprojects.net).

Sounds as if AS is dying a slow death. 100% gnome compliance would make
AS more interesting.

So long.

--
::::: Gene Imes			     http://www.ozob.net :::::