Re: naive question for beginner

Leonard Nutley (leonutley@snowcrest.net)
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 15:34:50 -0700

the contents of the .xinitrc in my ~/ directory includes some commented
out stuff:

#----------
afterstep
#gnome-session
#blackbox
#----------

and it's permissions are read/write,, read:

[leo][Tue Jul  9, 15:32:56][~/]
$ ls -lh .xinitrc
-rw-rw-r--    1 leo      leo            35 Feb 19 18:59 .xinitrc

On Tue, 09 Jul 2002 17:04:52 -0400
richard noel fell <fell01@rcn.com> wrote:

> I use startx so I have to call .xinitrc. I must ask how this is done
> and what do I put in that file which I must create since there is none
> at this time.(There is, however, one in/etc/X11/xinit.)
>   By the way, I did create an executable .Xsessions file as you
>   suggested and
> used both kdm and xdm to startx. Howerver, nothing was different. The
> same interface as before.
>
> Thanks for all your help and patience,
> Dick Fell
> Oystein Viggen wrote:
>
> > * [richard noel fell]
> >
> > >     I generally use kde 3. The switchdesk utility is of no help.
> > >     Can
> > > anyone direct me to the appropriate source(s) or instruct me on
> > > how to get afterstep as my default window manager?
> >
> > If you are using XDM or another display manager, such as KDM, you
> > can most likely override its preferred window manager with a script
> > called"~/.Xsession".  The file needs to be executable (chmod +x),
> > and can contain something like the two lines:
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
> > exec afterstep
> >
> > This file is also a neat place to put various hacks that you might
> > want to run between logging in and strting the window manager.
> >
> > If you don't use any display manager (if you type startx to start
> > X), you have to call the file ~/.xinitrc instead.
> >
> > Oystein
> > --
> > This message was generated by a horde of attack elephants armed with

Leonard Nutley
leonutley@snowcrest.net
530 893-3148