Re: gnome compliance

Sasha Vasko (sasha@aftercode.net)
Fri, 02 Aug 2002 11:44:47 -0500

Chris Lee wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 19:30:16 +0100, James said:

>> | >  |
>> | >  |

>> | ~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/database
>> | add the line:
>> | Style	"panel" 	NoTitle, StaysOnTop, WindowListSkip, NoHandles,
>> | AvoidCover
>> | or somthing like it in there.
>> | 'man afterstep' for further details on use of the database file.
>>
>> Hmm, thanks for that. That works when moving windows around - they
>> "bang" into the sides of the panels now, instead of hiding under/over
>> them, but I am still free to resize the window (either manually or with
>> the maximise button) under any panel.
>>

> Ok, I'll look at the Gnome module when I finish breaki^H^H^H^H^H^H working on
> Pager and see if there's anything that can be done about it.

Gnome module was only designed for older GNOME compatibility protocol.
AFAIK nowdays this protocol is abandoned, and GNOME is using Extended WM
specs, just as well as KDE is supposed to do. I did some work towards
implementing support for that in as-devel tree, and I did backported
most of that into as-stable tree just a few days ago. It does require
alot of work to get it to a usable state thou, so it'll take some time.

Needless to say that I'll gladly accept any help anybody has to offer on
the subject.

Extended wm-specs are located on :
http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/wm-spec/

Files to look for in CVS repository are:
	include/clientprops.h
	include/wmprops.h
	include/hints.h
	include/afterstep.h
	lib/clientprops.c
	lib/wmprops.c
	lib/hints.c
	src/afterstep/add_window.c
	src/afterstep/event.c

	and some more...

Don't expect me thou to go into lengthy explanation on how that is
supposed to work, althou I'd be happy to provide help on specific
details to those who are actually willing and ABLE to work on the matter.

Cheers.
Sasha Vasko