Re: stretching wallpaper

Bob McClure Jr (robertmcclure@earthlink.net)
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 07:57:54 -0500

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 12:46:52PM +0200, theruck wrote:
> Hello as-users,
>
>   how can i stretch a wallpaper if it is 1024x768 and my desktop is
>   1280x1024?

Have a look at pnmscale.  First you will need to use one of the pnm
utilities (e.g. giftopnm or jpegtopnm) to convert it to PNM (portable
anymap) format, then scale it up with pnmscale, and convert it back to
the previous format.

You will need different scale factors for x and y, so, assuming you
are converting jpeg wallpaper, you could string everything together:

 jpegtopnm wallpaper.jpg | pnmscale -xscale=1.25 -yscale=1.33333 \
  | ppmtojpeg > newwallpaper.jpg

"man jpegtopnm" and "man pnmscale" for a whole lot more information.

I'm not that familiar with gimp, but you may be able to use it,
instead.

> --
> Best regards,
>  theruck                          mailto:theruck@vault-tec.sk