Re: gnome compliance

Bob McClure Jr (robertmcclure@earthlink.net)
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 12:56:49 -0500

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 05:19:32PM +0100, rupert@complinet.com wrote:

> > Bah. I see nothing wrong with AS as it is. Gnome is not the end all be
> > all, I run AS in the first place to get away from the bloat of Gnome, KDE
> > and friends.
>
> well said :-)
> pager, wharf and startmenu do everything i need, and leave me with
> a damn sight more free memory!
>
> --
> ru

The two things (besides the obvious slimness) I like about AS, that I
can get nowhere else, save FVWM(2), is partial panning of the virtual
desktop and clickable cascading menus that stay put.

For the first, I have mine set up so that when my cursor bumps into
the screen edge, the "viewport" shifts over 20%, after a brief delay.
The second is as opposed to, say, Gnome, where, as you traverse the
levels of menus, if your cursor strays from the parent selection, the
child submenu changes.  In AS, I click the parent selection, and the
child submenu comes up and stays regardless of subsequent mouse
movement.

Cheers,
robertmcclure@earthlink.net  http://www.cumbytel.com/~bobcatos/