Re: Why aftersetp don't use Xdnd?

Sasha Vasko (sasha@aftercode.net)
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 09:50:14 -0500

Pachara Tinamas wrote:
> I think afterstep use OfficX to make Drag&Drop action.
> Why afterstep don't usr Xdnd? I see many program, such as gnome mozilla xemacs, use Xdnd. And if afterstep use Xdnd , it will support with many program.

How could you possibly apply Xdnd to AfterStep?
I mean AfterStep is not a shell that can run an application when you
drop an icon on the root window.

There are few ways to apply drag-and-drop to AS - dragging windows from
1) Pager onto desktop
2) Dragging apps into Wharf so it would swallow  them.

item 1) does not require any Xdnd or anything - it is implemented via
internal AS messaging and works rather well.

item 2) is implemented using OfficeX and could possibly be upgraded to
Xdnd if anybody could convince me that it really is a worthy feature.

Regards
Sasha.