Re: asmail

Albert 'Tigr' Dorofeev (albert@tigr.net)
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 23:18:31 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Bartosz Wucke wrote:

> > * Give us some diagnostics when running (maybe just separate icon entries?)
> >   for "error", "server error", "checking" - so we would know there's actually
> >   no new mail, not that our network could be down.
>
> I actually thought it would be useful to know, which account this applies to.
> It could be used in "separate accounts counts display" mode, by replacing
> numbers with letters (like P for "wrong Password, N for inability to reach the
> remote host (Net down), R for "connection Refused (pop3 service down), X for
> "other errors" (like non-pop3 service on given port), etc. Also, using "-"
> instead of "0" would be much better readable as "no messages")
> *grin* This way all the net admins here get a wonderful net monitoring utility
> free :) Just watch for "R"unning change to "N"et down :)

Ok, this is a very good idea. I am putting "-" in right away,
with the rest of letters I will have to check how it is done
really.
	R - running (checking)
	F - general failure
	C - connection refused
	L - login problem (password)
	U - unreacheable
I am trying to use letters that do not look alike here.

> Yes. :) Although from what I know, nowadays POP3 took over the "market" and
> IMAP+SSL is rare enough that we don't need to worry much about it. Somebody
> correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, IMAP is quite popular with me :) There is an inherent
problem with the protocol though. If I am logged in to the
IMAP server (like running my mail program), I cannot login
the second time - it will say "the mailbox is already subscribed
to" or something like that, meaning you already watch INBOX.
That's a problem I cannot circumvent. If anybody knows how
it can be configured away, let me know.

Tigr

--
Albert Tigr Dorofeev  -  albert at tigr.net  -  http://www.tigr.net/
GPG fingerprint = EDF4 CEA9 4CBF 0FAF 02B3  5839 B871 C957 3953 115F