Re: Pager weirdness(?)

Ed Phillips (ed@udel.edu)
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 12:47:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Sasha Vasko wrote:

> Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 11:34:42 -0500
> From: Sasha Vasko <sasha@aftercode.net>
> To: as-users@afterstep.org
> Subject: Re: Pager weirdness(?)
>
> Ed Phillips wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Stelios Bounanos wrote:
> >

> >>Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 19:28:02 +0000
> >>From: Stelios Bounanos <sb@dial.pipex.com>
> >>To: AfterStep Users <as-users@afterstep.org>
> >>Subject: Pager weirdness(?)
> >>
> >>Hello all,
> >>
> >>I'm experiencing some strange Pager behaviour with afterstep 1.8.3:
> >>
> >>1. Stacked windows are not shown correctly when changing desktops/
> >>   pages. For example, I open two xterms in a page, the second one
> >>   partially obscuring the first. Then, when swithing to another page,
> >>   the pager immediately shows the first one that was opened as being
> >>   on top (without actually raising it).
> >>   This makes it practically impossible to move a window from a
> >>   cluttered page by dragging it out of the pager, since it usually
> >>   grabs the wrong one :-)
> >

> > I am having the same problem on Solaris 9 with both the Sun-supplied 1.8.8
> > and the 1.8.11 I downloaded and built myself.  Any ideas of what is going
> > wrong?  This is very annoying for the Pager mini-windows stacking order to
> > be getting out of sync with the real-windows stacking order...
>
> Pager is not handling stacking order well. This problem has been around
> for long time, and surprisingly nobody ever complained :). I'll see if I
> can fix it in the next version. Obviously any patches will be quite welcome.
> Sasha.

I'd be glad to help if I can, however, I'm new to AfterStep and I'm not
very familiar with the code.  My quick browse through the Pager code
itself didn't help very much - if anything, it seemed to point me in the
direction of whatever code implements the "GotoPage" (spelling?) function
of the window manager itself.  I couldn't even locate the code that is
responsible for drawing and refreshing the mini-windows inside the Pager's
X window(s)... so I haven't seen any of the logic about what gets drawn in
what order.  The main thing that confuses me is the question "When I
switch pages, why do the mini-windows need to get "restacked" or
"reordered" or whatever is happening?".

Ed Phillips <ed@udel.edu> University of Delaware (302) 831-6082
Systems Programmer III, Network and Systems Services
finger -l ed@polycut.nss.udel.edu for PGP public key