Re: Surfing

Bartosz Wucke (sharp@solutions.net.pl)
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 03:22:49 +0100

Claudio wrote:
> Hi, i have this problem:
> I deleted the file  group in/etc and now the user can't
>  enter in Afterstep: startx ---> command not found

You screwed up baaaad! That file is one of the essentials for whole Linux (or
any Unix clone you may be using) working correctly. Get a copy from a friend
for "template" and edit it by hand basing on the file /etc/passwd with this syntax:

'group' file syntax:

groupname:pass:GID:(optional additional members, comma separated)

'passwd' file syntax:

username:UID:GID:gecos:homedir:shell

Every user in "passwd" file has to have a GID that exists in 'group' - match
existing "virtual" users (demons, system groups etc)  to existing groups
(usually same or similar names) and create a group like 'users' with unique GID
to which you can set all common ("human") user GIDs in passwd. Use high GID
(>100, preferably >500) so you won't get in conflict with any daemon that could
create its own GID.