Re: aterm "history"

Bartosz Wucke (sharp@solutions.net.pl)
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 21:56:27 +0100

Albert 'Tigr' Dorofeev wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Sasha Vasko wrote:
>
>>Bartosz Wucke wrote:
>>
>>>Sasha, could you try switching that to something bigger in next aterm
>>>release?
>>>(i.e. add k for kbytes, M for mbytes or something similar with lines, or
>>>something
>>>like 'inf' for infinite...?)
>>
>>ok, I will, which should be soon, as I'll make next release at the same
>>time as the beta of afterstep 2.0. lets say about two weeks.
> Including the infinite history? *snorts* A very useful
> feature that will probably occupy more disk than anything
> I've installed so far :)

1) it's optional. Don't like it? Don't use it.
2) 200MB of plaintext (about the amount of free RAM on a not very heavily
loaded system with 256M RAM) is really a LOT and I doubt anybody would display
that much ever... If the memory is allocated dynamically "as needed", it would
take ages.
3) I guess some way to flush the buffers would be nice, but not necessary if
you plan on displaying your router network traffic over several weeks in aterm.

I'm not sure if TinyFugue has 'infinite' buffers or just really huge, but I
never had any problems with it when it comes to RAM, even though I've been
transferring stuff like uuencoded files and kept many-days telnet sessions
active in it.