Re: [SPAM] building RPM from source

Mark Thorp Duxbury (marktd@bellsouth.net)
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 12:03:36 -0400

On Wednesday 09 April 2003 23:19, you wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 20:02:16 -0500, Mark Thorp Duxbury
>
> <marktd@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > > I'm trying to build an RPM from the AfterStep-1.8.11.tar.bz2
> > > package.
> >
> > I can provide an SRPM if you like.
>
> Thanks for the offer, but no thanks.  I'd prefer to build from source.
> Also, using someone else's SRPM won't get the current .spec file fixed.

Actually it will.  An SRPM is a *Source* RPM, it contains the sources and the
correct spec file for 1.8.11 (it actually contains AfterStep-1.8.11.tar.bz2
and AfterStep.spec ).  It does not contain any binaries.  Use "rpmbuild
--rebuild filename.src.rpm" (or if on an older version of rpm use "rpm
--rebuild filename.src.rpm") to build an RPM from the sources contained in
the SRPM, or you can install the sources and the specfile using "rpm -ivh
filename.src.rpm" and then build an RPM from the specfile with "rpm -bs
specFileName" if you prefer.  Or if you just want the correct specfile,
install the SRPM and and grab it.  Building from an SRPM does exactly the
same thing as building from a specfile by hand.

Mark