Re: Looking forward...

Sean Dague (sean@dague.net)
Thu, 03 Apr 2003 08:42:34 -0500

--oLBj+sq0vYjzfsbl

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 11:07:15AM -0600, Sasha Vasko wrote:
<snip>
> Yes, All of this is due to well known limitation of X Windows. Every 30=
=20
> something days internal clock of X Server rolls over ( since its=20
> counting milliseconds and stores them in 32 bit variable ).But=20
> AfterStep, as well as any other decent window manager, relies on this to
> set focus to windows and for some other things. Basically you will not=20
> set focus on window if it was requested by event with lesser time then=20
> last focus action. But after clock roll over all the times will be less
> then last focus action's time - so focus never gets set.
>=20
> I did go to some length in new AS to overcome this problem, and try and=
=20
> detect clock roll over. But this only works if X server is same macine=20
> as AfterStep runs on. There is no fix for remote servers.
> Unfortunately I was not able to debug it since I could not get AS to run=
=20
> for 30 something days :).

Sasha, this is excellent.  I get hit by the roll over issue most months,
which requires a "restart this session" call.  I tend to have AS running on
my work machine for 2 to 3 months at a go.  X bloats in that time, by AS is
nice and stable.

	-Sean

--=20
			=09
Sean Dague                sean@dague.net               http://dague.net

There is no silver bullet.  Plus, werewolves make better neighbors than
zombies, and they tend to keep the vampire population down.

--oLBj+sq0vYjzfsbl

--oLBj+sq0vYjzfsbl--