Re: Looking forward...

Sasha Vasko (sasha@aftercode.net)
Thu, 03 Apr 2003 14:26:22 -0600

Geoff Burling wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Sasha Vasko wrote:
>
> [snip]
>>1) What themes should be supplied with AfterStep? I was going to get the
>>best rated from as.themes.org but they all seem alike.
>

> When I read this, I tried to look over the small collection I had made
> from themes.freshmeat.net about a year ago, but I ended up making a
> mess of my current theme. (It's a lame port of the WindowMaker theme
> Noctilucent.)
>
> If you'd like the list of the themes in my collection, I'd be happy to
> forward it to you. I picked them mostly for the various ideas they
> had, rather than their look or functionalities.

Yes, I would like to have this list, as well as what exactly those ideas
are.
Looking at what is on as.themes.org I had an impression that most themes
could be classified in few simple categories, and inside each category
they mostly differ by color, and maybe shape of the buttons.

So my Idea at the moment is to supply several such groups of themes,
such as:

1) Gradients		- Gradients used for all decorations
2) Translucent		- Transprency used extensively
3) Other OS emulation   - BeOS, Mac OS X, Windose, E, WM etc
4) Shaped		- Shaped window decorations
5) Framed		- Extensive use of frames
6) Minimalistic		- no titlebar buttons, As little decorations as
possible, etc.
7) Fancy textures	- All the rest of the themes with textures

And inside each category supply set of themes with different color schemes.
This approach allows to provide comprehensive set of themes without much
bloating of the distribution.

ight now I had an idea to supply several categories of themes

> Otherwise, maybe once I see 2.0, I'll start playing with creating a
> few themes for AS. If nothing else, it might inspire people with some
> real creative skills to contribute something.

The reason I'm doing this is that first reaction of ppl downloading new
as and running it with what was supplied before would be "ahh that's
same old crap". I've seen this happening, and even reviews published in
different places never go to install themes - they only check for whats
supplied by default. This is why I would like to suppli a well built
comprehensive set of themes which could demonstrate all the power of
AfterStep.

> Geoff

Sasha.