Re: Newbie - Can't get afterstep to run

Bob McClure Jr (robertmcclure@earthlink.net)
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:28:08 -0500

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 02:57:48PM +0100, Angel Gabriel wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 12:51, Fabien Perdu wrote:
> > I think you can edit .xsession to put the line
> > exec afterstep
> > and it should work
> >
> > "^(o,o)^ Turk2000" <acnrvi@tin.it> :
> > > On 24 Apr 2003, Angel Gabriel said me 8-)
> > >
> > >  #-badman -# I've just installed the afterstep rpm onto a RH7.3 (RedHat)
> > >  #box, and-badman -# afterstep isn't displayed as one of the options for
> > >  #a window manager in-badman -# the logon box. How to I run afterstep
> > >  #instead of KDE and GNOME?
> > >
> > >  I'm sorry. I did not understand that you was using an x login. So, what
> > > is it your x desktop manager?
> > >
> > > Turk
> > >
> Where can I find the file xsession?
>
> --
> Angel Gabriel <badmangabriel@lycos.co.uk>

Not xsession, but .xsession.  You create it in your $HOME directory.
When logging in from the GUI, it checks for two files in your $HOME
directory, I think in this order:

  ~/.xsession
  ~/.Xclients

and executes the first one it finds.  If logging in from text console,
and running "startx", it looks for and executes ~/.xinitrc.

Cheers,
robertmcclure@earthlink.net  http://www.cumbytel.com/~bobcatos/
"I'm from the Government and I'm here to help you."  Scary.
"I'm from the U.N and I'm here to help you."  Very scary.