Re: Newbie - Can't get afterstep to run

Mark Thorp Duxbury (marktd@bellsouth.net)
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:24:37 -0400

On Thursday 24 April 2003 13:29, Angel Gabriel wrote:
> I've just installed the afterstep rpm onto a RH7.3 (RedHat) box, and
> afterstep isn't displayed as one of the options for a window manager in
> the logon box. How to I run afterstep instead of KDE and GNOME?

Greetings,

Here is how to do it so that Afterstep shows up in the login menu on Redhat
(i.e. how Redhat does session selection at login):

(0) The following assumes that you are using gdm and not kdm or xdm (gdm is
the default, so if you haven't changed anyting this will work; if you are
using a different display manager let me know and I'll post instructions for
the others - they're all different).

(1) Create a file in /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions called "Afterstep" (warning, I
can't remember for sure that this is where this directory was in RH 7.3, but
I'm almost completely sure - I don't think they moved it between 7.3 and 8.0.
If /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions doesn't exist, type "locate gdm/Sessions" and put
the Afterstep file there - the most likely alternative location would be
/etc/gdm/Sessions.)  Put the following lines in the "Afterstep" file:

	#!/bin/bash
	exec /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession afterstep

(2) Now create a file in /usr/share/apps/switchdesk called
"Xclients.afterstep".  (again if there is no /usr/share/apps/switchdesk
directory try "locate apps/switchdesk" - but I'm 99% sure it's in the
location I've indicated in RH 7.3).  Put the following in that file:

	#!/bin/bash
	exec /usr/X11R6/bin/afterstep > ~/.Afterstep-errors 2>&1

(3) Restart gdm.  Afterstep should be in the list of sessions to choose from.
Choose it and log in, you should get Afterstep.  If for some reason this
doesn't work please let me know, I don't think I've forgotten anyting but...

Hope this helps.

Mark