Re: Looking forward...

M.-A. DARCHE (ma.darche@cynode.org)
Sat, 5 Apr 2003 18:14:47 +0200

Le 2003-04-02 11:07 (mercredi), Sasha Vasko a écrit /
On 2003-04-02 11:07 (mercredi), Sasha Vasko wrote :
> Restart function should now restore desktop exactly - with all the
> windows going on proper desktop and proper viewport. It will even
> restore current desktop/viewport.

Talking about the Restart function, I have been wondering for some time
now if and how Afterstep could be restarted from the command line.

I'm asking this because sometimes when my desktop becomes really crowded
(around 20 rxvt on 4 desktops, many Mozilla tabs + Mozilla mail) and
that my machine has a very high load (very consuming java server
application) Afterstep starts to eat all the CPU it can and doesn't
respond anymore. This isn't happening very often at all, and I wonder if
it is not related to this much talked about X bug. But in my case,
Afterstep doesn't respond anymore, making it impossible to call the
Restart function from menus of from the Wharf.

I've tried all the things I could think of (and many stupid ones I have
to confess), including the kind of classical 'kill -HUP <afterstep-PID>'...
with no success (results just in killing AS). The Internet doesn't yet
seem to have the answer either.

Is restarting AfterStep from the command line possible ? If not, could
the next version have this feature ? Or maybe is there a better solution
than the restart ?

Cheers,

PS : Thanks to all participating in the development of AS, I'm very
eager to test the new version :-D

--
Marc-Aurèle DARCHE  <http://www.cynode.org/>
AFUL <http://www.aful.org/>