Re: Problems.

Sasha Vasko (sasha@aftercode.net)
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:10:38 -0500

Bartosz Wucke wrote:

> I've installed Afterstep  1.99.0 (finally!) from sources compiled from
> CVS on Debian 'woody' with kernel 2.4.18 and XFree86 Version 4.2.1.1
> It compiled and installed OK but I got that problems:
>
> 1) Can't get Wharf Folders to work. At all.
>
> What I do:
>
> *Wharf Pagers AfterStep3.xpm,3_dots.xpm Folder
> *Wharf Pager - MaxSwallowModule "Pager" Pager 0 0
> *Wharf ~Folder
>
> I tried that piece from man Examples too. Nothing works. I get error :
>
> Wharf warning: None of Applications assigned to the button "Pagers"
> cannot be found in the PATH. Button will be disabled
>
> but when I put the Pager line outside the Folder section, it works. It
> worked with my old (1.8 or something) Afterstep too. (with
> Folders...~Folders instead)

Ok, its a bug in Wharf - I've fixed it now - thanks for reporting.

> (a bug to category 'tiny' about the message: Don't use no double
> negatives ;)

Fixed this one as well. Thanks :)

> 2) Wharf won't swallow ascpu.
> I was using:
>
> *Wharf asload - MaxSwallow "asload" asload -exe 'xterm -e top'
>
> It works OK with the old asload binary. When I replace "asload" with
> "ascpu" though, ascpu remains in upper left corner of the screen and
> wharf stays with empty entry. Putting -withdrawn or replacing MaxSwallow
> with alternatives doesn't help.

You have to make sure that quoted name is the same as application's name
- what is reported in WM_NAME property if you click on applications
window with xprop. For ascpu its ascpu coincedentally. If you don't do
that - then Wharf will start app, but won't be able to swallow it.

If you install CVS - it should create symlink to Wharf called
MonitorWharf and you should have 2 wharf on default desktop -
MonitorWharf will have quite a few apps in it by default.
Note that Wharf can now check availability of the application and it
will show only apps that are present on the system.

> 3) Mozilla (1.4) places its requesters at very random positions. Often
> way out of reach - like with only a small, hard to catch piece of the
> window sticking from beyond the desktop edge.
>
> I use SmartPlacement. NoPPosition doesn't have any influence on that.

I will need to investigate this.

> 4) Things crash at random (I find my desktop without winlist or wharf
> from time to time) - tell me how to diagnose this and I could try to
> provide you with some more info.

should not happen.
If you could - compile afterstep with --enable-gdb flag and then spool
all the trace messages into file by starting AS as :

aftertsep -l log

Then send me this log file (it could grow pretty big thou ).

Also you could e-mail me your config tarball.
Please don't post it on this list, as there are message size limitations.
Send it to me directly at : sasha@aftercode.net

I'll appreciate it.

Thanks again.
Sasha.