Re: Wharf problems and missing xiterm

Bob McClure Jr (robertmcclure@earthlink.net)
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:25:13 -0500

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 03:15:32PM -0700, dpeterson@sigmaxi.org wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, J. Patrick Brewer had this to say:
>
> >Howdy folks.
> >
> >Now I've upgraded to RH 9 and installed AS 1.8.11.
>
> This is my current system.  I've been running AS with the most current
> release for many years now.

I, too.

> You don't mention if you installed from source or RPM, though.  I always
> compile AS from source.  I think RH does some bizarre things with their
> RPM packaging of AS...

I've used both the RPM and the source, and both behave about the
same.  I'm currently running 1.8.11 from source.

> >This time I'm encountering a couple strange things that I can't find in
> >the documentation or the archives:
> >
> >1. When Afterstep loads, the wharf slides up the left right side of the
> >screen but very slowly and haltingly. Is that how it's supposed to work
>
> As long as I can remember, even in the early 1.7 days, the Wharf has
> always appeared erratic when started from the autoexec rather than just
> started as a module.  I believe this is just CPU limitation of trying to
> load X and terminals etc. and animate the Wharf.

I disagree.  When I first upgraded to 1.8.11, I noticed the same
behavior, but not just on startup.  If I open up (on my wharf)
Applications->Tools, the latter, with 8 applications in it, has that
jerky behavior.  Nothing else is going on.  Previous versions moved
smoothly.

> >2. The Rxvt button under the Utilities menu is no longer connected and
> >the xiterm command no longer works. The result is that I have no access
> >to a terminal.
>
> Are you sure either of these are installed?  A default RH9 system does
> not have either of these terminal programs.  If there is no app to find,
> the button/menu item will not work...

Agreed.  I don't have xiterm any more, though I do still have rxvt via
a derelict RPM from many upgrades ago.  You may want to download and
install AfterStep Term (aterm).   Get it from the applet page:

http://www.tigr.net/afterstep/long.php

> Best of luck!
> -Don
> Donald A. Peterson       | dpeterson@sigmaxi.org
> Ph.D. Research Associate |
> Dept. of Chemistry       | PH:  (541) 737-7079
> Oregon St. University    | FAX: (541) 737-0480

While I'm on the line, I'd like to air another misbehavior.  One of
the handiest things I do is to drag a window from (any pane of) the
pager to the current screen with the middle mouse button.  But, since
the advent of 1.8.11, when I do that, the window snaps back to a
position with its upper-left corner next to the pager, which is in the
upper-left corner of the screen.  It works properly if I just move it
(with the middle mouse button) within the pager, but I can't "drag" it
off the pager to any desired position on the current screen.

That's one of the slickest features of AfterStep, but, alas, it's
broken.

Cheers,
robertmcclure@earthlink.net  http://www.cumbytel.com/~bobcatos/
Forgive your enemies -- nothing annoys them more.