Re: Wharf problems and missing xiterm

dpeterson@sigmaxi.org
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:07:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Bob McClure Jr had this to say:

>On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 03:15:32PM -0700, dpeterson@sigmaxi.org wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, J. Patrick Brewer had this to say:
>>
>> >Howdy folks.
>> >
>> >Now I've upgraded to RH 9 and installed AS 1.8.11.
>>
>> >This time I'm encountering a couple strange things that I can't find in
>> >the documentation or the archives:
>> >
>> >1. When Afterstep loads, the wharf slides up the left right side of the
>> >screen but very slowly and haltingly. Is that how it's supposed to work
>>
>> As long as I can remember, even in the early 1.7 days, the Wharf has
>> always appeared erratic when started from the autoexec rather than just
>> started as a module.  I believe this is just CPU limitation of trying to
>> load X and terminals etc. and animate the Wharf.
>
>I disagree.  When I first upgraded to 1.8.11, I noticed the same
>behavior, but not just on startup.  If I open up (on my wharf)
>Applications->Tools, the latter, with 8 applications in it, has that
>jerky behavior.  Nothing else is going on.  Previous versions moved

Hmmm.  Well, I checked and yes, there is a bit of a hesitation at each
panel of the Wharf, but seem to recall the animation never being very
smooth...

>While I'm on the line, I'd like to air another misbehavior.  One of
>the handiest things I do is to drag a window from (any pane of) the
>pager to the current screen with the middle mouse button.  But, since

Agreed!

>the advent of 1.8.11, when I do that, the window snaps back to a
>position with its upper-left corner next to the pager, which is in the
>upper-left corner of the screen.  It works properly if I just move it
>(with the middle mouse button) within the pager, but I can't "drag" it
>off the pager to any desired position on the current screen.

Funny.  It's the opposite for me.  The only way I can reliably move a
window from one desktop to another is to do just that---drag it off of the
Pager to the main screen.  It works PERFECT here.  I, however, cannot move
a window from one Pager desktop (or even a viewport) to another within the
Pager itself.  The Pager pretends that the window moved, but in reality
the window is right where it always was.

>That's one of the slickest features of AfterStep, but, alas, it's
>broken.

But apparently, broken differently on different boxes!  Your desired
behavior works perfect for me! :)

Cheers,
-Don