Re: Wharf problems and missing xiterm

Bob McClure Jr (robertmcclure@earthlink.net)
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:23:03 -0500

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 06:07:31PM -0700, dpeterson@sigmaxi.org wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Bob McClure Jr had this to say:
>
> >On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 03:15:32PM -0700, dpeterson@sigmaxi.org wrote:
> >
> >> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, J. Patrick Brewer had this to say:

> >> As long as I can remember, even in the early 1.7 days, the Wharf has
> >> always appeared erratic when started from the autoexec rather than just
> >> started as a module.  I believe this is just CPU limitation of trying to
> >> load X and terminals etc. and animate the Wharf.
> >
> >I disagree.  When I first upgraded to 1.8.11, I noticed the same
> >behavior, but not just on startup.  If I open up (on my wharf)
> >Applications->Tools, the latter, with 8 applications in it, has that
> >jerky behavior.  Nothing else is going on.  Previous versions moved
>
> Hmmm.  Well, I checked and yes, there is a bit of a hesitation at each
> panel of the Wharf, but seem to recall the animation never being very
> smooth...

Perhaps so.  And I have to say it really doesn't bother me.

> >While I'm on the line, I'd like to air another misbehavior.  One of
> >the handiest things I do is to drag a window from (any pane of) the
> >pager to the current screen with the middle mouse button.  But, since
>
> Agreed!
>
> >the advent of 1.8.11, when I do that, the window snaps back to a
> >position with its upper-left corner next to the pager, which is in the
> >upper-left corner of the screen.  It works properly if I just move it
> >(with the middle mouse button) within the pager, but I can't "drag" it
> >off the pager to any desired position on the current screen.
>
> Funny.  It's the opposite for me.  The only way I can reliably move a
> window from one desktop to another is to do just that---drag it off of the
> Pager to the main screen.  It works PERFECT here.  I, however, cannot move
> a window from one Pager desktop (or even a viewport) to another within the
> Pager itself.  The Pager pretends that the window moved, but in reality
> the window is right where it always was.

Hmm.  Well, I've seen mine do that maybe 5% of the time, but most of
the time it does The Right Thing.

> >That's one of the slickest features of AfterStep, but, alas, it's
> >broken.
>
> But apparently, broken differently on different boxes!  Your desired
> behavior works perfect for me! :)
>
> Cheers,
> -Don
> Donald A. Peterson       | dpeterson@sigmaxi.org
> Ph.D. Research Associate |
> Dept. of Chemistry       | PH:  (541) 737-7079
> Oregon St. University    | FAX: (541) 737-0480

Hmm.  Well, this machine is running RH9 on an AMD K6-III-450 and ATI
Mach64.  I just checked another machine, an Athlon-550 with a RIVA
TNT2, and both behaviors work just fine.  And I just fired up my
antique IBM Thinkpad i1450, and it also behaves correctly.

Hmm.  I'm going to guess my problem is incorrect behavior/reporting of
the X server on the AMD K6/ATI Mach64.  Couldn't be something
different in the configurations, could it?  I have pretty much the
same look and feel configured on all machines.

I guess you can disregard.  If you can't duplicate the malfunction,
you can't fix it.

Cheers,
robertmcclure@earthlink.net  http://www.cumbytel.com/~bobcatos/
Forgive your enemies -- nothing annoys them more.