Re: AvoidCover in wharf and winlist

Sasha Vasko (sasha@aftercode.net)
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 11:54:14 -0500

Bartosz Wucke wrote:

> I found out the problem with Wharf, Winlist and some other apps is not
> that they die, but that they are just moved away from viewport (and
> since the two are sticky and WindowListSkip, they become completely
> unaccessible.)

Yes, windows were being moved off screen whenever this happens on non
default viewport. My Fault. Fixed in CVS.

> The problem is result of "AvoidCover"-like behaviour - no other app can
> be put on top of them and if it happens any gets there, i.e. due to
> viewport scrolling, sometimes windows get "rearranged" like my window
> travels to some empty space, sometimes a few viewports away or Wharf
> moves outside the visible area.
>
> Unfortunately I removed the "AvoidCover" and some more undesired entries
> from the 'database' file, but the problem remains - Wharf seems to
> ignore the file, remaining with all the unwanted behaviours. WinList

With recent introduction of support for Extended Window Management
specs, required for compatibility with KDE/GNOME, I had to add
capabilities to modules to request certain properties, even if those are
not set in database. AvoidCover is one of those. Good news is that you
can use database to override it, by using AllowCover in there.
Any attribute in database has its antipode. Logic goes on like that :

Get properties from the window.
For each possible property check if its set in database, and if it is
not use whatever window has requested.
If property is set in the database - it will override window's requested
value.

In your particular example all that logic causes some confusion, and I
was fighting hard to avoid it when this new specs were discussed, but
due to low level of brain activity of other participating members, I was
not able to have my way in some of the aspects.

> too, ignores 'database' and *WinListMaxSize and *WinListMinSize in my
> 'winlist' file and grows to fill the screen width... and once it meets
> wharf on the opposite side, ugly things start happening (usually one or
> both leave the viewport)

WinList should obey Max/MinSize. My Fault. Fixed it in CVS.

> Am I doing something wrong?

You are great :)

I wish I would get more of such detailed bug reports :)
Sorry for inconvinience nevertheless.

Sasha.