Re: trying AS to install in R-H 9

Bob McClure Jr (robertmcclure@earthlink.net)
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 21:32:34 -0500

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 05:17:24PM -0700, Javier Gonzalez wrote:
> Hi
>
> I don't know what happens. I do everything (or at
> least I thought so) as root user.

That's a Very Bad Idea (tm).  Do things as root only when you must.
When (not if) you make a mistake, root can do a whole lot more damage
than mere mortals.

> config, make, make install. Create the .xinitrc file
> (which was not there)

~/.xinitrc is used if you are using runlevel 3 (text login) and using
"startx" to fire up the GUI.

> Now I don't know what to do, because just nothing
> happens, even if I logout and back in. In the readme
> file some '.wmconfig' which I don't have and in the
> 'etc/X11/xinit/Xclients' I didn't know what to change.
>
> At any rate SOMETHING should happen and nothing is
> happening. I have no idea what I'm missing can anyone
> help?
>
> Javier

If you are using runlevel 5 (GUI login), you should turn your
attention to ~/.xsession.  The normal desktop selection is done using
~/.Xclients*, but ~/.xsession overrides that.  Assuming afterstep is
in /usr/local/bin, this ~/.xsession should get you going:

------------ snip 8< ------------------
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/local/bin/afterstep
------------ snip 8< ------------------

If you want to wire AS into the regular RH desktop switching system,
follow these instructions posted in April 2003 by Mark Thorp Duxbury
<marktd@bellsouth.net>:

On Thursday 24 April 2003 13:29, Angel Gabriel wrote:
> I've just installed the afterstep rpm onto a RH7.3 (RedHat) box, and
> afterstep isn't displayed as one of the options for a window manager in
> the logon box. How to I run afterstep instead of KDE and GNOME?

Greetings,

Here is how to do it so that Afterstep shows up in the login menu on Redhat
(i.e. how Redhat does session selection at login):

(0) The following assumes that you are using gdm and not kdm or xdm (gdm is
the default, so if you haven't changed anyting this will work; if you are
using a different display manager let me know and I'll post instructions for
the others - they're all different).

(1) Create a file in /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions called "Afterstep" (warning, I
can't remember for sure that this is where this directory was in RH 7.3, but
I'm almost completely sure - I don't think they moved it between 7.3 and 8.0.
If /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions doesn't exist, type "locate gdm/Sessions" and put
the Afterstep file there - the most likely alternative location would be
/etc/gdm/Sessions.)  Put the following lines in the "Afterstep" file:

	#!/bin/bash
	exec /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession afterstep

(2) Now create a file in /usr/share/apps/switchdesk called
"Xclients.afterstep".  (again if there is no /usr/share/apps/switchdesk
directory try "locate apps/switchdesk" - but I'm 99% sure it's in the
location I've indicated in RH 7.3).  Put the following in that file:

	#!/bin/bash
	exec /usr/X11R6/bin/afterstep > ~/.Afterstep-errors 2>&1

(3) Restart gdm.  Afterstep should be in the list of sessions to choose from.
Choose it and log in, you should get Afterstep.  If for some reason this
doesn't work please let me know, I don't think I've forgotten anyting but...

Hope this helps.

Mark

Cheers,
robertmcclure@earthlink.net  http://www.cumbytel.com/~bobcatos/
The world used duct tape to fix everything.  Jesus used nails.