Re: trying AS to install in R-H 9

Ales Ledvinka (xledvink@informatics.muni.cz)
Sat, 2 Aug 2003 10:26:41 +0200

this is if you don't get "afterstep" binary after compilation.

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Javier Gonzalez wrote:

> I don't know what happens. I do everything (or at
> least I thought so) as root user.

rh9.0 as regular very unprivileged user
(just write rights in the directory where --prefix points to)

> config, make, make install. Create the .xinitrc file
> (which was not there)

if you don't get "afterstep" binary after compilation then try to redirect
outputs and see what's your problem. i bet it's missing libraries or it's
-devel packages with header files.

for bash it would look like:
./configure --prefix=whatever --anything-else >/dev/null 2>c
make >/dev/null 2>m
make install >/dev/null 2>i

and investigate files in order (c,m,i) for first error like message
like missing executables (not critical for fltk-config in 1.99
afterstep-stable cvs)
or missing header files, macro/function definitions
etc.

last but not least it might be missing -ldl or some other libraries under
some conditions misguessed for AS 1.8.x and rh8.1 like static build

or anything else ;)

AlL.