Re: Default directory for AfterStep data files

Sasha Vasko (sasha@aftercode.net)
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:09:25 -0500

Stasinos Konstantopoulos wrote:
> if one really wants to be a pedant, the G/L/A directory contains both
> configuration files an arch-independent data files, so it should be
> split between ~/etc/afterstep and ~/share/afterstep, or rather provide
> two configuration options that might or might not end up pointing to the
> same directory.

1) you do not need to copy data files into your home directory. You only
need to copy config files. General suggestion to newbeis to simply copy
/usr/loca/share/afterstep into ~/ is suggested out of laziness and in
order not to overhelm.
As the matter of fact  - you only need to copy those files that you are
about to modify. In fact I highly discourage experienced users from
copying entire tree, as that may make upgrading to future versions of AS
harder, as you won't be able to pick up updated icons/fonts/etc.

2) Problem is that for AfterStep ( at least in 2.0 ) config files may
have data files attached to them. For example all colorschemes have
small preview icons supplied in the same dir. Also, the backgrounds menu
are both configuration and data files at the same time.

3) due to overhelming support - I shall make the change to have
~/.afterstep being default as of now. Thank you all for input.

Sasha Vasko