Re: 2 issues with AS2 vs. AS1.8

Sasha Vasko (sasha@aftercode.net)
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:12:35 -0500

Sean Dague wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 11:34:08AM -0500, Sasha Vasko wrote:
>
>>Sean Dague wrote:
>>
>>>Pulled CVS a couple nights ago and still have a couple of issues with AS2.
>>>These are annoyances more than bugs, but would be great if they were fixed
>>>(or had a conf file option to set them)
<snip>
>>>2. Title bar avoidance.  In AS1.x there isn't title bar avoidance between
>>>windows so you can slide windows easily amoung each other.  Window
>>>placement
>>>gets really jumpy in AS2 because all the title bars are trying to avoid
>>>each
>>>other. :(
>>
>>Add :
>>
>>WindowEdgeAttraction  0
>

> Also works great, but this stub isn't in the default feels file.  Perhaps it
> should be added?

I do not think so. Titlebar/frame decoration  attraction is one of the
new features, and I personally like it alot - it simplifies stacking
windows in cascading order.

What I can do - I can add this commented out by default  - with short note.

> One more thing, even if I remove the AvoidCover on *Wharf, I still get
> window avoidance.  I'd like for apps to be able to slide under it.  Any
> thoughts there?

Problem is that with this newly fashioned Extended Window Management
Specification ( formerly GNOME/KDE compatibility specs ) applications
are allowed to request different features, even if there are no entry in
database. That includes AvoidCover as well. Wharf requests it always.
Now, AfterStep - being nice window manager - allows you to override it
in database :

Style "Wharf" 	AllowCover

Note that each flag in database settings has its antipode: Icon and
NoIcon, Sticky and Slippery for example.

> 	-Sean

Sasha