Re: AS and national codepage

Sasha Vasko (sasha@aftercode.net)
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 15:53:01 -0500

Alexei V. Mezin wrote:

> Sasha Vasko wrote:
>
>> Let me know if you get any further problems
>

> Ok, here they are :)
>
> 1. AfterStep works with russian locale cp1251 (don't know about koi8-r)
> only if I run it with "-L CP1251" command line option.
>
> The real and correct value of $LANG is ru_RU.CP1251 (or ru_RU.KOI8-R).
> May be you need some parsing of getenv("LANG")?

Fixed that.

> 2. Even with "-L CP1251" I cant see russian letters in winlist bar and
> in pager hints. But everything is perfect in window captions and menu
> lines. (See http://194.85.80.10/as/scr1.jpg)

locale was not being passed down to modules. Fixed that.

> Menu captions are really good with default fancy font, but only in latin
> symbols. I dont know any free unicode font with many national glyphs and
>   similar look. This is a real problem of Linux/Unix community :(

Yeah, that's the problem. Default* fonts are covering UNICODE rather
well, but Fancy font is latin only. I mostly included it to show off
antialiasing. If you could find similarly looking font that covers more
unicode - please send it my way - I'll add it to the distro(it must be
freely distributable one too).

> 3. I get some problems with xterm caption. See
> http://194.85.80.10/as/scr2.jpg .
> May be this is a trouble of my system, but in "classic Afterstep"
> everything is OK.

I'm not sure about that one. It all depends on how xterm sets its name
properties.
If you could run afterstep as :

afterstep -V 10 -l ~/afterstep.log

and then send me the log file - that would give me something to work on.

Thanks
Sasha