Re: AfterStep and KDE/Gnome tray

Sasha Vasko (sasha@aftercode.net)
Mon, 06 Oct 2003 09:29:22 -0500

Alexei V. Mezin wrote:
> Jason Day wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 09:50:42PM +0400, Alexei V. Mezin wrote:
>>
>>> Lots of modern programs use KDE- or Gnome-style tray. Is there any
>>> way to use Wharf with such a programs?
>>

>> There is a program called docker: http://icculus.org/openbox/2/docker/
>>

> I found program called peksystray
> (http://freshmeat.net/projects/peksystray/).
>
> It works under AS1.8.x and can be swallowed by Wharf. It can handle
> KDE-style tray icons. This program is very simple and has limitations
> (for example two icons overlaps).
>
> But program source code is only _one_ *.c file (size 10kb) and looks
> clear and easy to understand. May be it is possible to include ideas of
> this program to AS for "native" KDE tray support?

It is based on System Tray Protocol Specification :
http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/systemtray-spec/systemtray-spec-0.1.html

Now there is nothing in AfterSTep that has similar semantics at the
moment, but that sounds like a good idea for a new module. Do I see any
volunteers ?

Personally I shall try and debug KDE/GNOME panels/trays under AS and
that is as far as I will go due to huge backlog

Sasha